This position is linked to a research project funded by the civil aviation administration in France, coordinated by the LATECOERE company located in Toulouse. This project aims at developing an assistance system for the control of an aircraft in airport areas, provided overall for bad visibility conditions (night, fog, rain…); multi-spectral images are acquired, fused and analyzed in order to create a view both synthetic and realistic of the environment where the aircraft is navigating. This view, augmented by symbolic and textual information, is sent to a monitor in the cockpit, in order to inform the pilot about all potential risk when he controls the aircraft from the parking area until the runway, and reciprocally.
The applicant will be integrated in the RAP research team (Robotics, Action and Perception) in the Robotics department of LAAS-CNRS.
The applicant will participate to the design of the architecture of the heterogeneous system (FPGA, CPU, DSP…) with respect to a functional specification and to critical real-time constraints. An SME partner of the project will develop the hardware system.
The applicant will have also to understand the image processing algorithms developed in the prototyping step, so that he could propose optimizations required for their implementation on the embedded architecture satisfying the real time constraints.
He will be responsible for the technical management of the project (doc, source code…), for the deliverables and for the technological transfer respecting the rules defined in the project.
With the involved permanent researchers of the RAP team, he will supervise the work of two PhD students or engineers funded by the project for the algorithmic development: image enhancement, filtering, fusion, and interpretation in order to detect objects typical from airport areas. He will guide the choice of these algorithms with respect to their migration on the physical system, specifically to take advantage from the processing parallelism. He will participate and will coordinate the algorithm migration on the system.
He will participate to the validation works supervised by the project coordinator and by aircraft companies. Validations will be done either with simulations (using HIL method) or in real conditions with a system embedded on an aircraft or a vehicle navigating on the taxiways of an airport.
Finally the applicant will have to interact with the project partners, preparing formal presentations for internal meetings and workshops. He will also participate to the scientific dissemination with the RAP permanent researchers.
- WORK TO BE DONE
- State of the art and contributions on the match between physical architecture and algorithms for real-time vision.
- Monitoring of the algorithmic development in C/C++
- Low level optimization and migration of algorithms on a heterogeneous architecture selected to respect real-time constraints.
- Hardware specification (operators, memories, bus, etc)
- Project management (doc, source code, meetings, etc)
Applicants must have a PhD in embedded system, electronics…
All of some of these competences will be appreciated:
- Autonomy, team work, supervision
- Project management and communication
- Algorithms for real time vision (OpenCV, Matlab), with basic knowledge in projective geometry (camera model, calibration, homography…)
- Embedded software development (C, optimization SIMD NEON)
- Hardware development (VHDL, Xilinx Vivado, test-bench programming)
- Migration of real-time vision algorithms on heterogeneous architectures FPGA+CPU.
- Methodology for the design of heterogeneous system.
One year contract extended at least one year
- CONTACT :
Michel Devy : firstname.lastname@example.org, +33 5 61 33 63 31
Jonathan Piat : email@example.com, +33 5 61 33 63 44